Information about Abingdon Elementary School Instrumental Music
Band Teacher for 4th and 5th Grade: Alexis Johnson: Alexis.Johnson@apsva.us
Strings Teacher: Kristin Gomez: firstname.lastname@example.org
The award-winning Arlington Public Schools Strings Program starts in the 4th grade and continues with middle and high school Orchestra. In addition to our school orchestra programs, we have outstanding county orchestras: Junior Honors Orchestra (4th – 6th graders) and Honors Orchestra (7th and 8th graders). Students may also audition to participate in numerous chamber music opportunities as well as District and State events.
- All 4th grade students take either Suzuki-based group violin, viola, cello or bass lessons. They may also take Band. 5th graders continue strings and band instruments. All 4th and 5th grade students study instrumental music.
- Classes meet in 2019/2020 for 25 minutes twice per week.
- Students rent string instruments from Abingdon Elementary School for the annual fee of $5.00. Please do not buy an instrument for your child without first consulting a strings teacher.
- Books and folders are provided by Abingdon. Please be sure to return the books at the end of the school year.
- Some after-school rehearsals may be organized during the year.
- Goals of the Strings Program
- Instrument Rental Form
Great bow hand!
Find out about our South Arlington Pyramid Concert!
Our Music Department conducts multiple concerts throughout the year – some performances include:
- Wakefield Orchestra Pyramid Concert
- APS 4th and 5th Grade Orchestra
We also have opportunities to hear the Wakefield High School Orchestra, as well as an orchestra made up of 3 middle schools: Gunston, Thomas Jefferson and Kenmore.Information regarding schedules, rehearsals, dates, and locations will be communicated to families as these concerts are scheduled each year. Concert dress is white shirt and black pants/skirts and shoes. All performance music is on Canvas in the Module called “Pyramid Concert”. Please contact Kristin Gomez with questions.