Description: Create a Pixie activity for your students to use in a way that will enhance instruction and communication. Pixie is an art app with drawing and clipart, a slideshow presenter, an eBook creator, a template annotator, a movie maker and a Hotspot activity programer all in one! It is so versatile! Pixie can be used with any grade level, for any content, to produce almost any product!
Go back to Tech Flipped PD Page
What is this?
Pixie – Paint pictures, add images and photos, record student voice, write and edit text to tell a story and create powerful examples of learning. This program comes as an App for iPads, as well as a program for computers. This program is an art app with drawing and clipart, a slideshow presenter, an eBook creator, a template annotator, a movie maker and a Hotspot activity programer all in one! It is so versatile! Pixie can be used with any grade level, for any content, to produce almost any product!
Basic Ways to Use This For Teaching and Learning:
- Students can write and illustrate their stories. They can then add narration and export it as an audio eBook or a movie file.
- Students can participate in backwards writing. Create 3 images (beginning, middle and end) showing the character and setting. Then add 2 more pages to stretch the details out (B, new page, M, new page, E). Continue to do this with the student creating the story orally each time that they share with the teacher or a partner. Then record their oral story-telling with details and descriptions. Finally, put their words into typed text to complete the book.
- Vocabulary books
- ABC books
- Retell the story in images, summarizing sentences or oral retells.
- Change the ending of a story
- Character analysis
- Interview the character or author
- Fact books
- Timeline books
- Retelling of a historical event
- Vocabulary books
- Connection books
- Interview with a scientist or historical figure
Basic Video Tutorial:
Tutorial Basic PDF Instruction Sheets:
Pixie offers step-by-step ideas and projects known as their “Recipes and Snacks” on the Pixie Website.
Here are some great videos on how to use Pixie in your classroom!
More resources offered on the Pixie Website.
How to Earn Your Pixie Basics Badge:
Create a Pixie Activity for your students to use in a way that will enhance instruction and communication. Integrate your Pixie into a lesson. Make sure that your students have the opportunity to use more than one tool (ie. paint AND text, stickers AND voice recording, etc.). Submit a “Reflections After PD” Blog.