WELCOME TO THE ABINGDON LIBRARY
We are so glad you are here.
The library is an engaging learning space for all students that promotes a love of reading and empowers students to be lifelong learners and critical thinkers while effectively navigating a multitude of information resources.
The mission of the Abingdon Elementary School Library is to:
- assist students in finding books to read for enjoyment;;
- introduce students to authors, illustrators, and a variety of genres;
- Instruct student in information and digital literacy skills in using online databases and resources while developing research skills;
- collaborate with classroom teachers to provide instruction to students;
- provide an atmosphere of empathy and kindness;
- foster a life-long love of reading.
Meghan Fatouros, Librarian
Lola Palacios, Library Assistant
Library Hours: Monday-Friday – 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
Library Circulation / Book Checkout
All students have the opportunity to check out books during their scheduled library class time. Additionally, students who finish their books before their scheduled library time are encouraged to come to the library during our open checkout every morning from 7:30-8:00 am. Students may ask their teachers at any time to come to the library for books.
- All books are checked out for two weeks at a time, but PreK and Kindergarten students are encouraged to return their books each week in order to learn good library habits. Books can be renewed for an additional two weeks.
- Return your print books to get more print books! Read, Return, Repeat.
The maximum number of books a student can check out depends on their grade level as follows:
- PK and Kindergarten – 1 book
- 1st grade – 2 books
- 2nd grade – 2 books
- 3rd-5th – 3-5 books
As students become familiar with our library’s policies and procedures, they may be able to check out as many books as they can read and be responsible for at one time.
Lost Books/Overdues: A book becomes overdue after two weeks. When a student has a book overdue for an extended time, their borrowing privileges will be limited until the overdue materials are returned. There are no fines for overdue materials or lost books. While we encourage students to borrow books from the library, we also want them to learn to return books so that others may enjoy them.