Thank you for your interest in the Abingdon volunteer program!
The Abingdon staff welcomes and values the contributions our volunteers make to our students and school community. While the volunteer needs of the school vary from year to year, some of the volunteer jobs in recent years have included:
- Chaperoning field trips
- Making costumes and props for the school musical
- Reading one-on-one with students
- Stuffing Tuesday folders
- Discussing your job with students
- Creating bulletin boards
- Assisting the reading team with special projects
- Tutoring students in math
- Preparing student artwork for the annual art show
*New this year* If you are interested in volunteering at any Arlington Public School, please follow the steps below:
- You must complete an application using one of the links below. Once you submit your application, you will receive an e-mail from Raptor Technologies indicating that your application is going through the review process.
English volunteer application
Spanish volunteer application
- You must complete and pass an online sexual misconduct training. You will receive a message from Safe Schools with a link to the training. You will be notified by e-mail when your training has been completed successfully.
- You must bring a valid government-issued ID each time you volunteer. These include:
- United States or foreign issued driver’s license
- United States or foreign government identification
- United States or foreign military identification
- State Department of Motor Vehicles’ photo identification card
- United States or foreign government-issued passport
- Permanent Resident Card (i.e,. Green Card)
- Re-entry Permit, or
- Arlington Public Schools Alternate Parent Identification Card*
4. Please note: A volunteer application will not be approved if an applicant has a record in the Commonwealth of Virginia, another state, or Federal sex offender registry(ies). All volunteers will automatically undergo a sex offender screening.
Each school in Arlington has a Volunteer and Partnership Liaison. It is the liaison’s responsibility to match the needs of the school with the skills and interests of the volunteers. Abingdon’s Volunteer and Partnership Coordinator is Debbie Staren-Doby. Feel free to contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 703-228-6650 with any questions or concerns about volunteering.
*Alternate Parent Identification is available for use with the Arlington Public Schools visitor management system only for parent(s) and legal guardian(s) who are listed on a student’s Synergy account. Parents and legal guardians may request to go through the alternate identification process at the school their student(s) are enrolled in. Individuals listed as emergency contacts are not eligible unless they are also the parent or legal guardian of an enrolled student. For example, an aunt who is the emergency contact for an enrolled student who is not the parent or legal guardian would not be eligible.
Thank you again so much for your interest in our students!