Family & Medical Leave
SBP 35-5 FML provides that employees who have been employed with APS for at least one year and who worked at least 1,250 hours during the preceding 12 months are entitled to take up to 12 workweeks of paid or unpaid job-protected leave with maintenance of group health insurance, during any 12 month period, for:
- Birth or care of a newborn child;
- Placement and care of a child for adoption or foster care;
- Serious health condition of an employee or a spouse, child or parent; and
- Qualifying emergencies arising from a covered military member’s National Guard or Reserve military service.
Twenty-six (26) workweeks of paid or unpaid job-protected leave may be taken during a single 12-month period to care for a covered service member with a serious injury or illness incurred in the line of duty.
Procedure for Applying
- A FML request form must be completed 30 days prior to the effective date of the leave or as soon as practicable and submitted to the supervisor who will forward it to Human Resources. If a 30-day notice is not provided, a written explanation as to why the 30 days notice could not be provided should accompany the leave request form.
- The Department of Labor (DOL) WH 380 Medical Care Verification Form, foster child placement or adoption information should be attached to the form.
- Requests for intermittent leave pursuant to the Family and Medical leave act should follow the same approval process, and schedule modifications should not be made on an ad hoc basis at the school or supervisory level.