Acceptable Use Policy
The Acceptable Use Policy summary in use by the comprehensive high schools in Arlington, including Yorktown, Washington-Lee, and Wakefield High Schools is available online by clicking here. Under SBP 45-2, APS considers the safe and appropriate use of the Internet and networked resources to be essential to the safety and welfare of the school division. APS also supports the use and integration of technology to reach educational goals, including those defined by the Virginia Standards of Learning for Computer/Technology, APS curricula, and the Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel (TSIPs).
Procedures for Acceptable Use of Electronic Networked Resources & Internet Safety
- All users accessing school system electronic networked resources, including the Internet, are expected to use these resources for instructional purposes or to conduct business of the school division.
- All APS students and staff are prohibited from using the division’s computer equipment and communication services for sending, receiving, viewing, or downloading illegal or inappropriate material via the Internet.
- Students are prohibited from accessing materials that APS deems to be harmful as defined in Virginia Code §18.2-372 dealing with obscenity.
- Under no circumstances may an employee use APS equipment to engage in any activity that is illegal or otherwise expressly prohibited, such as political activity or lobbying activity prohibited by law. All use shall be conducted in a thoughtful, considerate, responsible, and legal manner.
- APS has implemented an Internet safety program to meet mandates of the Code of Virginia § 22.1-70.2 Chapter 52, and all students and staff members will receive instruction in Internet safety in areas such as personal safety, cyber bullying, cyber security, and intellectual freedom and copyright.